OLGA A. BELOGOLOVA
Inside Defense. Arlington, V.A.
Associate Editor – Inside the Navy – 02/2013-05/2014
– Report on Navy aviation and shipbuilding via the Pentagon and Capitol Hill, specifically focusing on budget planning, across-the-board sequestration cuts, Asia-Pacific rebalance, and procurement policy
– Regularly correspond with or interview defense industry representatives and Navy officials
National Journal. Washington, D.C.
Staff Reporter, Energy and Environment Policy – 09/2010-02/2013
– Reported on energy and environment policy, focusing on domestic and international politics and economics for National Journal Daily and web publications
– Geopolitical stories on energy security, tariffs on Chinese solar panels, natural gas exports, offshore drilling, the Keystone pipeline debate, Gulf nation clean energy investment, and nuclear power, among others
– Managed monthly Energy and Environment Insider Poll, corresponding regularly with experts, policy advocates and decision makers to get the pulse on where domestic energy policy is headed
– Managed and produced Energy Need-to-Know Memo, which went out to thousands of Washington insiders daily
– Published in The Atlantic online as well as National Journal magazine and the Almanac
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation – U.S.-Russia Young Media Professionals Exchange Program (Dec. 2012) -Worked on the Ogonyok newsroom staff during a month-long journalism exchange fellowship, interviewing sources in both Russian and English, reporting from the Russian State Duma, street protests, and from the annual press conference of Russian President Vladimir Putin.Fellowship resulted in features about the Russian adoption ban, Soviet Afghan War veterans, and a narrative on newly strained U.S.-Russia relations entitled “Why Washington and Moscow Still Don’t Trust Each Other”
- U.S.-Japan Foundation and International Center for Journalists Japan Fellowship (Nov. 2012) – Reported from Japan, working with a Japanese interpreter. Visits to nuclear facilities throughout the country, interviews with Japanese energy ministry officials, as well as with officials, farmers in the Fukushima prefecture
- Carnegie Mellon Media Fellowship (June 2012) — interviewed environment experts and energy innovators
Marketing Specialist – 10/2009-08/2010
– Created website wireframe for redesign and participated in web development and design process.
– Responsible for coordinating the development, editing and design of company and business unit marketing literature (brochures, advertisements, slicks, etc.)
– Perform product marketing, market research, social media and Internet-related marketing
Freelance Editor, Blogger, Writer (Self-Employed)
– Top 5 Finalist (2010): MySpace Journal contest; competed to cover the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos.
– Freelance West Coast Editor for Encore Magazine (June 2009-August 2010): Write articles and develop ideas for Encore’s Los Angeles website, working with local PR contacts and theatre companies. Maintain Twitter, Facebook and YouTube Channel for Encore Mag’s LA edition, hosting and editing videos.
– Blogger for UniversityChic.com (April 2007-August 2010): write and develop story ideas for the website; work on SEO
– Author: Wrote two chapters for the book – U Chic: The College Girl’s Guide to Everything, out in April 2009
– Freelance Book Editor for GGS Book Services (NY, Summer 2007): Edited ancillary content, proofs, and manuscripts for Spanish Reading textbooks; Wrote end of chapter questions for Science textbooks
Embassy of Jordan: Sixty Years of Friendship Press Trip 2009
Journalist – 5/2009-6/2009
– One of ten students nominated from the top journalism schools in the United States
– Selected for the trip to explore US-Jordan bilateral relations and Jordan’s international role
– Wrote a blog, detailing the experience of the trip: http://abroadinamman.wordpress.com/
Boston Magazine. Boston, MA.
Editorial Intern – 9/2008-12/2008
– Worked one-on-one with Food Editor, writing, fact checking, and researching features and spreads
Solarflare Communications. Irvine, CA.
Marketing Intern – 06/2008-08/2008
– Created a style guide for technical documentation in Adobe FrameMaker, including corresponding templates for datasheets, application notes, and reference manuals
– Developed graphics templates in Visio
Churm Media, Inc. Newport Beach, CA.
OC Family Magazine, IE Family Magazine, OC Menus, Southland Golf Magazine and OC Metro Business Magazine
Editorial Intern – 05/2008-08/2008
– Wrote, copyedited, and fact checked news/review stories for all magazines
– Assisted OC Family Editor in Chief in summer long absence of Editorial Assistant, researching and developing story ideas
– Created, edited and uploaded web content for all of the magazines
– Assisted sales and marketing department
Cherwell: Independent student weekly at the University of Oxford. Oxford, UK.
Sub Editor – 01/2008-03/2008
– Edited copy, proofread layouts, and cut stories in Adobe InDesign
WorldMusic/CRASHarts. Cambridge, MA.
Marketing Intern – 01/2007-05/2007
– Wrote and edited press releases, brochures, direct mail campaigns and program notes for events
– Community outreach research
PIMCO, Department of Communications. Newport Beach, CA.
Communications Intern – 06/2005-08/2005
– Copy edited newsletters, marketing, and advertising for company products
– Graphic design and photo editing projects for company clients
Boston University. Boston, MA
B.S./B.A. May 2009
College of Communication, Magazine Journalism Major (B.S.), Cum Laude
College of Arts and Sciences, Western European Studies Major (B.A.)
Four-year University Scholar merit scholarship, GPA 3.4, Dean’s List
Oxford University, St. Anne’s College. Oxford, United Kingdom — Spring 2008
Boston University Honours Studies Programme
Tutorial Essay Topics:
- The Impact of the Mass Media on British Politics
- The Implications and Challenges of Eastern Enlargement of the European Union
- The Decline of the British Empire
SKILLS AND LEADERSHIP
- Fluent in Russian and French, proficient in Italian, Hebrew, and Latin
- Proficient with QuarkXPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Professional, Visio, Microsoft Office and Publisher
- Proficient with Web publishing tools (content management systems, blog software, SEO) and major social media platforms such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter; proficient with Nexis and database software
- Vice President and Public Relations Officer of Boston University Synchronized Swimming Team